- Primary DNS
- F5 Primary DNS Cloud Service is currently in Preview. For details, see What are the terms for a Preview Service?
Create and deploy a primary DNS zone
Creating and deploying a primary DNS zone with DNS Cloud Services is both fast and easy. You can follow the steps below to setup the a service for your zone.
- Click the Primary DNS tab in the Cloud Services navigation menu.
- On the Primary DNS tab, click the Create > Primary Zone button.
- On Create primary zone, start by specify your Start of Authority (SOA) properties for your zone:
- Zone Name
The zone name can be any name you want, but it must be a unique zone name that isn’t already registered with the service for any other account.
- Refresh after
How often should secondary nameservers query for SOA record to detect zone changes. Note, the Primary DNS Cloud service does not currently support Zone Transfers.
- Retry After
How soon should secondary nameservers retry requesting the SOA record number should the primary does not respond.
- Expire After
When should secondary nameservers stop answering requests for this zone if the primary stops responding. This value must be greater than the combined values of the Refresh and Retry fields.
- Time to Live (TTL)
The default Time to Live value for DNS records within the zone if one is not specified. The TTL informs recursive DNS resolvers how long to cache a response for a DNS record.
- Negative TTL
The Negative TTL informs recursive DNS resolvers how long to cache a response for a DNS record that does not exist within the zone. These are DNS queries that result in a NXDOMAIN or NODATA response code.
The Division field allows you to specify a group that can make changes to this zone.
- Zone Name
- After you complete the SOA properties for the primary zone, click Save to save a draft version of the configuration.
- To enable the primary zone within the services, click Activate.
The Primary DNS dashboard shows the zone that you created in its list of zones. For more information about the DNS Cloud Service dashboard, see Configure the Primary DNS Cloud Service.